The Early Years of Phil Campbell School
- The first school building was a two-story frame house located in the back of the Methodist Church.
- It was later destroyed by fire.
- The second school building was built on the site of the present school on Hwy 5.
- It was a two-story wooden framed building with two entrances.
- Just shy of ten years, it burned Christmas Day 1924.
- For the next two years school was held in local church buildings located on West Railroad Avenue.
- The third building was completed in 1926.
- There were two buildings - the main building and a vocational building.
- The main building was destroyed by a fire many years later.
- Graduation services for the very first accredited PCHS class were conducted at the Methodist Church in 1926.
- The Class of 1926 had merely eight students.
- The first football team was fielded in 1927 with 13 players on the team.
- At that time the football field ran along the highway in front of the school.
- The mascot was the "Purple Tornadoes."
- In 1928 Phil Campbell won its first county championship in basketball.
- Football was dropped during WWII.
- A gymnasium was built in 1941.
- The first basketball game played in the gymnasium was in 1942.
- In 1947, the basketball team won the state tournament.
- In 1951 Phil Campbell had its first and only undefeated football team.
- The fourth school was constructed in 1954.
- The Phil Campbell Band Program was initiated in the summer of 1962 under the leadership of Mr. Richard Hogan.
- The first band had 94 members.
- Phil Campbell School had several additions including a home economics and agriculture building and a band room.
- In 1974 an elementary building was added (which later became the 7th and 8th grade building)